The essays below provide such accurate sensory detail that you can experience the subjects through words alone. You can learn how to write good description from these websites:
- Butte College Center for Academic Success: Writing a Descriptive Essay
- Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL): Descriptive Essay
- Lumen: Writing for Success: Description
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL): Descriptive Essays
- wikiHow: How to Write a Descriptive Essay
All writers in this collection speak for themselves—and themselves alone.
A visual representation of this collection exists on Pinterest.
Sarah Kendzior and Umar Lee, writing for Politico Magazine, describe life in Ferguson, Missouri.
Novelist Edwidge Danticat describes a meal that she will never forget.
In this piece from the Los Angeles Times, reporter Garrett Therolf depicts the resting place for a victim of child abuse.
Reporter Chinki Sinha describes the lives of women who work in a red-light district in Mumbai, India.
Author Tiphanie Yanique describes Vega Baja, Puerto Rico, the place where her grandmother was raised.
Transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau describes the animals that he encounters during his two-year-long experiment of living a simple life in nature.